- Footnotes … on a blog? What?
I know. Its madness but … I love to cite. In-text documentation is awkward and ugly, footnotes at the end of a post are similarly cumbersome so this is my solution. I honestly don’t know if anyone else has already solved this problem more elegantly.
Simply scroll down to the date and title of the post you just came from and you should find the citations that you are (theoretically) here for.
2012 April 7 | The Beginning of Citizenship
- Solint, Rebecca. Wanderlust: a history of walking (New York, NY: Viking Press, 2000), p 176.
2012 February 10 | Be Warm Toward the World
- Gardner, John Fentress. Education in search of the spirit: essays on American education (Garden City, NY: Waldorf Press, 1995), p 23.
2011 December 3 | Painful Duty to Inform you
- Green, Allan Wright, ed. Building the Pauson House: The Letters of Frank Lloyd Wright and Rose Pauson (Petaluma, CA: Pomegranate, 2011), p 14.
2011 December 1 | Buildings: Taliesin
- Larkin, David and Bruce Brooks Pheiffer, eds., Frank Lloyd Wright Master Builder (New York: Universe Publishing, 1997), p 206.
- Larkin, p 76.
- Smith, Kathryn. Frank Lloyd Wright’s Taliesin and Taliesin West (New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc, 1997), pp 12-13.
- Larkin, David and Bruce Brooks Pheiffer, eds., Frank Lloyd Wright Masterworks (New York: Rizzoli, 1993), p 288.
- Larkin, Masterworks, p 292.
2011 June 28 | Typology: Levittown
- Kenneth Jackson, T., Crabgrass Frontier: The Suburbanization of the United States (New York: Oxford University Press, 1985), p 23.
- June Williamson, “Revisiting Levittown,” Places 17, no. 2 (Summer 2005) p 47.
- Herbert J Gans, The Levitttowners: Ways of Life and Politics in a New Suburban Community (London: Allen Lane The Penguine Press, 1967), pp 12-13.
- Popenoe, The Suburban Environment, p 116.
- Margaret Lundrigan Ferrer and Tova Navarra, Levittown: The First Fifty Years (Dover: Arcadia Publishing, 1997), 15.
2011 June 23 | Typology: Usonian Houses
- Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer, Frank Lloyd Wright: Usonian Houses (Tokyo: A.D.A. EDITA, 2002),p 22.
- Pfeiffer, Usonian Houses, p 36.
- Pfeiffer, Usonian Houses, p 16.
- Diane Maddex, Wright-Sized Houses: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Solutions for Making Small Houses Feel Big (New York: Harry N. Abrams, 2003), p 52.
- Maddex, Wright-Sized Houses, p74.
- The Willey house in Minneapolis, MN embodies many of his Usonian ideas and was probably the true progenitor of the type.
- Maddex, Wright-Sized Houses, pp103-07.
- Maddex, Wright-Sized Houses, p70.
- Maddex, Wright-Sized Houses, p104.
- Maddex, Wright-Sized Houses, p103.
2011 May 26 | The Great Stink
- Flanders, Judith. Inside the Victorian Home: A Portrait of Domestic Life in Victorian England. (New York: W. W. Norton & Company, 2003), p 329.
- Flanders, p 331.
- Flanders, pp 337-28.
- Sayers, Dorothy and Jill Paton Walsh. Thrones, Dominations. (New York: St. Martins Paperbacks, 1998), p 52.
- George, Rose. The Big Necessity: The Unmentionable World of Human Waste and Why it Matters. (New York: Metropolitan Books, 2008), p 31.
- George, p 31.
- George, p 30.
2011 May 19 | Designers: Does a bear s**t in the woods? Does the Pope? Do you?
- Barlow, Ronald. The Vanishing American Outhouse: privy plans, photographs, poems and folklore. (New York: Viking Studio, 1992), p VII.
- Bryson, Bill. At home: a short history of private life. (New York: Doubleday, 2010), p 354.
- Barlow, p 15.
- Wilhide, Elizabeth. Eco: an essential sourcebook for environmentally friendly design and decoration. (New York: Rizzoli International Publications, 2002), p 40.
2011 May 10 | Designers: Henry Thoreau
- Thoreau, Henry David. Walden: The writings of Henry D. Thoreau. Walter Harding, ed. (Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1971), p 6-7.
- Thoreau, 23.
- Sullivan, Robert. The Thoreau You Don’t Know: what the prophet of environmentalism really meant. (New York: Collins, 2009), p 23.
- Sullivan, 125.
- Thoreau, 10.
2011 April 28 | Books: Spent
- Miller, Geoffrey. Spent: Sex Evolution and Consumer Behavior. (New York: Viking Press, 2009), 90-111.
- Miller, 115-119.
- Miller, 120.
- Miller, 266-267.
2011 March 17 | Realism, leading to Activism
- Weinberg, Barbara H, Doreen Bolger and David Park Currey. American Impressionism and Realism: The Painting of Modern Life, 1885-1915. (New York: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1994), 3.
- Souter, Gary. American Realism. (New York: Parkstone International, 2009), 9.
- Weinberg, 4.
- Weinberg, 196.
- oops. I don’t have this source.
- Pearson, Jason. “Further Forward: Operative Practices” in Good Deeds, Good Design: community service through architecture. Bryan Bell, ed. (New York: Princeton Architectural Press), 232.
- Bell, Bryan. “Designing for the 98% Without Architects” in Good Deeds, Good Design: community service through architecture. Bryan Bell, ed. (New York: Princeton Architectural Press), 12.
- Oppenheimer, Andrea, Dean Hursley and Timothy Hursley. Rural Studio: Samuel Mockbee and an architecture of decency. (New York: Princeton Architectural Press), 1.
2011 March 9 | Rant: Beware the Ecofacists
- Genevro, Rosalie. “Preface” in. Ten Shades of Green: Architecture and the Natural World. (New York: Architectural League of NY, 2005), 5.
- Buchanan, Peter. “Green Culture and the Evolution of Architecture,” in. Ten Shades of Green: Architecture and the Natural World. (New York: Architectural League of NY, 2005), 12.
- Buchanan, 12-13.
- Buchanan, 13.
2011 March 3 | Style over Substance
- Jan Marsh, William Morris & Red House (London: National Trust Books, 2005), xiv.
- Baker, John Milnes. American House Styles: A Concise Guide. (New York: W. W. Norton & Company, 2002). No page numbers, as previously mentioned.
2011 February 24 | Books: $20 Per Gallon
- Steiner, Christopher. $20 Per Gallon: How the inevitable rise in the price of gasoline will change our lives for the better. (New York: Grand Central Publishing, 2009), 19.
- Steiner, 30.
- Steiner, 34.
- Steiner, 37.
- Steiner, 129-131.
2011 February 22 | Buildings: Farnsworth House
- Frampton, Kenneth. American Masterworks of the Twentieth Century House. (New York: Universe Publishing, 2002), 96.
- Friedman, Alice T. Women and the Making of the Modern House: A Social and Architectural History (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2006), 131.
- Friedman, 134.
- Friedman, 141.
- Friedman, 142.
- Curtis, William J.R.. Modern Architecture Since 1900 (New York: Phaidon, 1996), 403.
- Frampton, 98-101.
- Frampton, 102.
- Columbia University’s Farnsworth House website
2011 February 17 | Materials: The humble 2×4
- Freed, Eric Corey. Green Building & Remodeling for Dummies. (Hoboken: Wiley Publishing, 2008), 142.
- Smith, L.W. and L.W. Wood. “History of Yard Lumber Size Standards.” (Madison, WI: Forest Products Laboratory, 1964), 2.
- Smith and Wood, 13.
- Freed, 143.
2011 February 1 | Designers: Eileen Gray
- Caroline Constant, “E.1027: The Nonheroic Modernism of Eileen Gray,” The Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians 53, no. 3 (September 1994): 265.
- Caroline Constant, Eileen Gray (London: Phaidon Press Ltd, 2000), 117.
- Constant, “E.1027,” 275.
- Constant, “E.1027,” 274-5.
- Constant, “E.1027,” 272.
- Constant, Eileen Gray, 115-16.
- Constant, Eileen Gray, 73.